History of Pioneer Village
Columbiana County has long been known for its large collection of log structures. As the years went by a great number of them have been dismantled, moved elsewhere or destroyed. In the 1960's and 70's several log structures were doomed. The Hale Farm and Village saved two for their restoration program near Bath, Ohio.
St. Phillip Neri church, in Dungannon, Ohio restored the Daniel McAllister log cabin that was site of the first mass. Its history dates back to the year 1817, when the Rev. Edward Fenwick, a Dominican Father, known as "The Apostle of Ohio," paid his first visit to the Catholic settlers in Columbiana County.
William Vodrey hired Robert Kelm, of Salem, to move a beautiful log cabin from New Franklin, Ohio, to old Fredricktown, Ohio. Then Mr. Kelm designed and did some of the construction on Lower Cabin and chapel log structures in Pioneer Village.
Several log structures were offered to the Columbiana County Forests and Parks Council as a gift. The Council decided with the cooperation of the Columbiana County Historical Society and the Ohio Division of Parks to build a typical log school and a pioneer's log cabin near Gaston's Mill in conjunction with the covered bridge and the canal locks and thus to restore the surroundings to correspond with the structures contemporary to the mill of the 1840's when the Sandy and Beaver Canal was in full swing.
Pioneer Village's log cabin structures were built with logs and building materials donated from nine different old buildings in the county. They were completed about 1971. Most of the furnishings were donated.
The Friends of Beaver Creek State Park volunteers honor the many dedicated individuals who came before us. We respect and admire their energy and foresight to rescue Gaston’s Mill and Canal Lock No. 36 and erect the Pioneer Village.